My cooking style has changed a lot since moving to Romania.
I always used to use store-bought spice sachets, especially with international dishes.
Since living in Romania I was not able to find the pre-made stuff,
but the craving for some of my favourite dishes, like burritos, needed to be satisfied.
Without a pre-made spice mix I decided to make my own burrito spice mix and
while it took a few tries, I now I have my go-to combo.
What I love about making this spice mix myself, or any spice mix really,
is that I get to play around with the flavours I want.
I like spicy food, so I added chili powder, however I always have another jar
with a milder version lying around, as not everyone handles heat very well.
This is my favorite combination
Try it out.
- 2 tablespoons of paprika powder
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of chipotle powder (smoked chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of grounded pepper
- Mix all the ingredients and store in a clean spice jar.
*tip: stir in a tablespoon of tomato paste when adding the water.