Ketjap Manis a syrupy sweet soy sauce
I’m sharing this recipe because I have not been able to find ketjap here in Romania, but I use it really often for my marinades.
For a basic ketjap all you are going to need is, soy sauce and palm sugar and you’ll be able to make your own ketjap.
You can keep it simple or season your ketjap and add garlic, chili peppers or ginger etc.
- 100 ml of light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of palm sugar
- 2 table spoons of molasses (optional)
- 1 chili pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 anise (optional)
- Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and heat over low fire
- Stir frequently for about 10 minutes until the liquid forms a syrup-like thickness and the sugar and molasses are dissolved
- Remove from heat and discard the anise
- Carefully pour the ketjap in a clean jar and let cool
- When cool store in the refrigerator